Friday, January 22, 2010

Blog For Choice Day

It's Roe v. Wade's birthday!

Fancy!

So, I think I'd be pretty much preaching to the choir (blogging to the bloggers?) if I went off about how groovy trusting women is, and how no one is more qualified to make a choice about a woman's body than that actual individual woman.  Obvi, non?

BUT I am echoing the general  sentiment which I've seen batted around today, which is that simply making (and keeping) abortions legal really isn't enough for either side of the debate.  We need better, more complete, more prevalent sex education.  We need better access to gynecological care and birth control for women in all areas of the social strata--or, hey, how about a less divisive social strata en generale?  We need abortions to be not only legal but socially viable and accepted--say, for instance, performing them in fucking hospitals where they belong instead of in physically isolated and ostracized clinics.

It should go without saying, but we need abortions to be a nationally recognized part of healthcare.  We need politicians to grow a spine and recognize that they have nothing to do with our insides, other than protecting our right to Handle It.

I know.  It's a lot to ask.  But we've got this, I know it.
Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment